Travel Permit

There are four kinds of documents required for foreign tourists who want to travel freely in Tibet.

1) Tibet Travel Permit (TTP)
2) China visa or Tibet Group visa
3) Alien’s Travel Permit (ATP/also called PSB permit)
4) Military permit

  1. Tibet Entry Permit- It is also known as Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) permit. It is mandatory for entry to any arts of the Tibetan Autonomous Region including Lhasa. This permit is the key to Tibet as you have to show this permit before boarding any flights or trains in Tibet. Our travel agency will apply for this permit on behalf of you. According to the TTB currently, all the permit application should be submitted at least 15 days before the trip starting date.  So, once your trip is confirmed with us, you have to send us a clear scanned copy or photo of your passport and Chinese visa at least 20 days in advance by email as it is required for applying for the the Tibet Travel Permit.


Please note that if you are traveling into restricted areas, then you need more additional permits (i.e. ATP and military permit) and documents which will take longer time.

NOTE: Diplomats, journalists, and government officials who want travel to Tibet, they have to go through the arrangement done by the Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government. Ordinary travel agencies won’t be able to apply for them.

2) China visa or Tibet Group visa- A valid passport with a standard Chinese entry visa is required for all foreign travelers. A Chinese visa is generally obtainable from most Chinese embassies and consulates in your locality and must be obtained in advance. The cost of a standard Chinese tourist visa varies from US$ 12-120 according to the nationality of the applicant and the type of visa required. Individual visas (an ‘L’ Visa means tourist visa) may be issued for single or double entry, with a validity of one, two, or three months. Multiple entry visas are normally issued for business or educational purposes only, such as the “F” Visa, “X” Visa or “Z” Visa etc, ranging in validity from 6 to 12 months, and are more expensive (US$ 120-250). Normally three working days are required to process a visa application from the date of its submission, but express services are also available at a premium.

3) Alien’s Travel Permit (ATP/also called PSB permit)- This permit is required when you are planning to travel to the remote areas in Tibet, which you can obtain it after you arrive in Tibet. PSB Permit can be issued in the capital city of each prefectures in Tibet by local Public Security Bureau. Our travel agency will help you apply for this permit according to your itinerary. It can be only applied after you arrive in Tibet because your original passport, Chinese visa and Tibet Permit are needed. Normally it would just takes several hours and costs CNY50 per person to get one.


4) Military permit- This permit is required if you are planning to travel to Ngari, Nyingchi, and Nagqu which are regard as the military sensitive areas in Tibet. It is issued by the Military office in Lhasa . Your passport, Tibet permit are needed to apply for it. It normally takes 1-2 week days and the cost is CNY100 per person.


Copy © 2015 Fairdealtibettours. All Rights Reserved | Developed by Tibetan I Tech